July 25, 2023
Following a healthy lifestyle and getting into a routine is not always the easiest at home, but you’re able to do it, right? What do you do when you’re shaking it up for a week of vacation?
I have a secret…. It won’t surprise you… the secret to not overdoing it on vacation? It’s all about HABITS.
On this week’s episode of the podcast, we talk about making decisions on vacation that best support your body.
Knowing The Cycle
There is a cycle of Movement > Sleep > Healthy Eating that keeps us going when we are working through a healthy season of life.
Moving your body encourages good sleep, good sleep keeps your mind clearer to help make healthier choices with eating (and reduces cravings), and supporting your body with whole food choices gives you the energy to move your body.
As you leave home whether it’s for one day or ten days, keep those three main focuses in the back of your mind.
It Comes Back To Your Habits
For starters, can you continue your morning routine on vacation? Maybe it’s not exactly the same but bring in the pieces that you can. This will help you set yourself up for success as the day goes on. Your body knows what to do and what to expect.
Sleep most likely will bring some adjustments as you are in a different place. Maybe sounds are different around you, maybe the bed isn’t as comfy, maybe things smell weird, etc. While it may vary by location and mode of travel, what can you bring with you on your vacation that could bring you back to a peaceful sleep?
- Oil diffuser
- Bedtime drinks
- Pillow from home
Next comes movement. On vacation, that most likely will look different, but the goal is to still keep it in some form.
- If you’re a gym class person and want to try to keep up with that, look for a local gym that have day pass options.
- Sometimes the best way to learn your way around a city or location is to run, walk or bike around it.
- Look for local trails to go hiking on.
- Swimming in lakes or oceans can be a bigger workout than one might think!
- Youtube videos are always available, finding a yoga or bodyweight workout can give you some form of movement.
- If you can’t travel with weights, throw a few exercise bands in your suitcase and find a good youtube workout.
The Big One: What You Eat
Vacation doesn’t always mean you have access to the same foods and might mean that you want to branch out on what you are eating. There is nothing wrong with finding and trying new foods, however, if you have specific food needs, don’t let those get lost.
You won’t undo all of your hard work in a week, but you may notice how different it feels to go back to eating in a way that doesn’t always support your body.
Some examples of ways you can continue to support your body:
- Break out a grill
- Focus on whole foods
- Look to see if the place you are staying has access to a kitchen.
- Bring food with you if possible.
- The portable blender for smoothies is one of the best purchases we’ve ever made!
Listen To Your Body
At the end of the day, the most important thing you can do is listen to your body. I will forever stress going back to food journaling when something feels off.
Hey There, I’m Kristin, a gluten-free nutrition coach helping gluten-free families adjust to their new lifestyle.